Under Construction is the first game I seriously published. It's a short and minimal little platformer set in the Flora universe.
I wrote the code; my partner Glip provided the concept, art, music, and map. (So, all the real work.) We put it together over the course of a few weeks in the spring of 2016 using the PICO-8 fantasy console.
Arrow keys move. Up jumps. (Sorry.) X restarts from the beginning.
If you own "a" PICO-8, you can also find it in the game browser.
- Canonical home on my own website
- Original release on the Flora website, including cover art
- Release on the PICO-8 BBS
- Downloadable cartridge
- Original source code (the release copy had comments stripped for size reasons)
- My writeup of my experience writing the game
- Online version of the instruction manual
- Buy a physical copy of the instruction manual
- Soundtrack on Bandcamp
|Release date||May 25, 2016|
|Tags||2D, 8-Bit, floraverse, Minimalist, PICO-8, Surreal|
|Code license||MIT License|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution_ShareAlike v4.0 International|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Links||Original Floraverse release, Eevee's writeup, Soundtrack, Instruction manual|
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Fun little game! I found the conveyance/knowing-what-to-do-i-ness of the game a little frustrating in bits, so here's a little hint-based objective guide for any players coming across this:
(Jump on top of them.)
(Touching the black eye towers
(You can push the rocks.)
(Rocks put out fires.)
- Press X
- Hold Up during the death text
- Go left
For the "teeth" incarnation of the friend, this is the only way to see the otherwise unused level. Pretty cool!
I enjoyed this a lot! Got stuck on what I think was the third song, the mood and the careful tiling are super-smart and expressive.